Fort Rammekens was situated on the Southeast shore of Walcheren, here seen from the Wester-Schelde with the village of Ritthem at left.
Rammekens, Western Europe’s eldest sea fort, was built in 1547 on commission of Mary of Hungary, a younger sister of Charles V, who reigned the Netherlands in name of her brother. The fort was meant to control the at that time very important ports of Antwerp and Middelburg en played an important role as anchor place fors ships of the East-India Company (voc). The fort has alternely been under rule of Spanish, English, French and Zeeland troops.
The Dutch marine painter from the period of the Golden Age Justus de Verwer was the son and pupil of Abraham de Verwer. Although followed his father in theme, he worked in a different colorite and more in a grey tone.
From 1651 to 1656 Justus de Verwer was employed by the Dutch East India Company (VOC) and travelled to the East Indies. Returning to the Netherlands he settled in Amsterdam.